Spied: Steel-bodied 2019 Ram 1500 confirmed - 2019+ 5th Gen Ram Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Spied: Steel-bodied 2019 Ram 1500 confirmed

Ford will remain the only pickup manufacturer to use an aluminum body.
Spies have confirmed the 2019 Ram 1500 lineup will soldier on with a steel body, laying to rest any rumors that FCA's bread-and-butter pickup will follow Ford into the aluminum-body game. That's not to say that the new Ram will be entirely free of lightweight materials. In the course of confirming the new pickup's steel body, spies confirmed that its tailgate and hood will likely be aluminum.

How'd they do that? The tried-and-true magnet method.

We were supplied with a video of the subject applying a magnet to each of the Ram's exterior panels. The body, doors and bedside are obviously made of ferrous material. The tailgate and hood, however, were not magnetic.

This doesn't necessarily confirm the presence of aluminum in those still-camouflaged body panels, however the use of more exotic materials is exceedingly unlikely.

We expect the lighter-weight 2019 Ram to also introduce new engines, perhaps include a turbocharged four-cylinder to be shared with the likes of the new Jeep pickup. The very presence of the Jeep may allow FCA to hedge toward bigger powerplants for the Ram, however, with demand for a more-efficient midsized model taken care of elsewhere.

We're skeptical that diesel will return given FCA's recent run-ins with federal regulators, but we'll have to wait until January (at the earliest) to find out.

Read more: Spied: Steel-bodied 2019 Ram 1500 confirmed - LeftLaneNews
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:50 PM

I too was expecting to see them go the route of aluminum, just because of all the rumors flying around, especially for the truck bed. But I can see more future ads comparing steel and aluminum.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:02 PM

I was hoping they would follow in Fords lead to go aluminum but just maybe a hybrid powertrain is part of this whole strategy which if it is I will be that much more interested.

Hybrid powertrains have great off-the-line power that can eliminate the negative effects of a heavier body.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 01:24 AM

I can see people going for steel because of it's reputation for rigidity, but aren't there strong aluminum composites out there they can use to reduce the overall pickup's weight? Such a shame that other manufacturers won't even consider it, though I still like Ram.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 03:30 AM

If it wasn't for these being trucks with engines so big that torque gets them off the line easily then I would be calling this a big mistake
it just goes to show not everyone needs to do what Ford did and what Ford did wasn't exactly the best idea.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:22 AM

Not surprised with how much flak aluminum is getting in the pickup segment, and wasn't RAM the one with those ads targeting aluminum? Would be going back on their word if they went aluminum.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 10:37 PM

As long as it can still get good mileage then I don't have anything to worry about. Plus in a crash this is likely to hold up better than aluminum, so right there we have a big bonus towards getting this over the competition on top of being a RAM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page