Stress Crack Windshield - 2019+ 5th Gen Ram Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Stress Crack Windshield

So I’m less than 1k miles on my BH Black Edition and my windshield is cracked. I called my dealership and they believe it’s a stress crack and will be covered under warranty. It starts at the very top center and is working it’s way across the driver portion.

I will be going in tomorrow for them to take pic and determine if it’s a stress crack. I had been so happy with this truck until this. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:09 AM

Not specifically on the new Ram, but yes this problem seems to be occurring more frequently on new vehicles. Glad to hear that its likely to be covered under warranty, as it should be. Hopefully this doesn't become a common complain from new owners.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:20 AM

Probably a stress crack if there's just a line and no indent from debris. Last time I cracked a windshield, it was from a small pebble hitting it at highway speeds and you can clearly see the impact area where it spiders outwards.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:15 AM

So are we thinking that the stress crack is just from flexing? Or perhaps it has to do with the factory windshield that the new Ram has. Either way I don't think you'll have any issues getting it replaced, though a bit of a pain on a brand new truck.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:30 PM

Sometimes it even comes down to how the windshield was mounted and how all the materials in play work in collaboration which can be for or against eachother. Its more common than not these days.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Dealer said it was impacted by a pebble. I honestly can’t see impact but luckily they are claiming stress crack to manufacturer. So new windshield will be installed in a few days.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:29 AM

Glad to hear that will be the case, it probably helps that you have a good dealer, some could easily say it was the owners fault. Future owners should be reading into topics like this to know what to look out for. Sometimes this stuff is easy to see during delivery day.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 AM

Yeah sounds like your dealer is throwing you a bit of a lifeline, as they should with a brand new truck purchase. No idea how you would go about disproving the damage caused by a stone.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:43 AM

2019 Laramie sitting in BP parking lot and staring out window. I thought a bird dropped something when I see a crack appear from passenger side pillar. It was a 10” line and turns out to be a crack. WTF. My dealer never defends the customer. Oh, something had to hit it. It’s not warranty. Always same answer. Backorder parts. Love the truck but hate the support. 2 weeks for A/C part, can’t fix radio/phone panel issue but FCA has an upgrade coming in fall.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page