Tailgate Open Warning - 2019+ 5th Gen Ram Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Tailgate Open Warning

Hmmmmm, taking this 2019 1500 Limited in to the Service Dept today. I'm getting an intermittent warning light of the tailgate open but I get out and check it and it's completely secure. This has happened about 3 or 4 times now. I open it and close it hard and the warning light goes out. Don't want to keep slamming it so hopefully they can fix it today. Anyone else have this happen? Only have 200 or so miles on the truck.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:04 PM

You can try doing a battery pull to see if that resets computers and modules.

If not then the dealer will be your best bet.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:12 AM

Sounds like the sensor might need an adjustment. First time hearing about the issue on here. I would expect the fix to be relatively simple.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:32 AM

Probably a sensor problem if it goes away after you close the tailgate again. It'll probably need adjustment or replacement, but warranty will cover the factory defect. At leas the latch is tight so there's no fear of it opening while you drive.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 PM

Just make sure to tell your dealer as soon as you can. The longer it stays like that the more they start considering if it was the owners own negligence
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 05:15 PM

I had this happed 2-3 times since owning the truck for a month. If it continues to become an issue I will be visiting dealer. Now I’m just making sure it’s closed hard every time. No issues since
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
I had this happed 2-3 times since owning the truck for a month. If it continues to become an issue I will be visiting dealer. Now I’m just making sure it’s closed hard every time. No issues since
At least OP isn't alone here with the issue.
Considering the severity (which isn't much) its probably best to have them look at it during an oil service. Or just keep inquiring about a possible TSB.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:12 PM

I have the same issue on my brand new truck!! I would like to know if and how your issue was resolved before I take the truck back to dealer. Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:05 PM

Oddly enough I have the opposite problem. My 19 limited's tailgate kept opening while driving. The other day, the tailgate opened on it's own while pulling my trailer. Now it's all me
ssed up. Dented, paint damage, etc. The reason I say my problem is opposite from others specified above is that not once did a "tailgate open" warning show. I didn't even realize that the truck had one. In fact when I went to the dealer about the issue I mentioned in talking to the service manager about the damage that I thought it weird that with all the bells and whistles the truck has I was surprised that it didn't have a tailgate open warning.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page