A new midsize is in development - 2019+ 5th Gen Ram Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

A new midsize is in development

FCA has been without a midsize pickup since it killed off the Dakota back in 2011. With a flood of domestic midsizers coming to market, Ram has decided that it will also be getting back into the game. The unnamed truck will be body on frame and will be built alongside the upcoming Jeep Wrangler pickup. This 'baby' Ram is expected to release sometime in 2020, and odds are it will release with their eTorque mild hybrid system. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ra...ckup-in-the-us
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 01:04 PM

With the Ranger making its way stateside soon, I'm not that surprised that FCA has a proper rival in the works. The new Jeep pickup looks really promising, but it seems from the rumored price point that its going to be a more premium model.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:02 AM

The proportions of the Jeep pickup just look off to me. I'm not sure if its the extended bed that's being used on the test mules, but it looks like a fairly large midsize truck. There is a definite need for smaller compact options in the segment.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebellious View Post
The proportions of the Jeep pickup just look off to me. I'm not sure if its the extended bed that's being used on the test mules, but it looks like a fairly large midsize truck. There is a definite need for smaller compact options in the segment.
it might but more due to the cabin and having seen many JK8's in my time and now see seeing the actual pick up for the next decade going forward, it will take some getting used to.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebellious View Post
I know that it is being offered in a two door, so that configuration may be more to your liking. And unfortunately with the brand loyalty that Jeep products have, FCA can get away with inflated pricing.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:05 AM

As impressive as the new Wrangler JL is, I have seen a lot of complaints and issues around it, and the latest recalls are looking serious. Frame welds are failing? That's inexcusable on a brand new model.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
As impressive as the new Wrangler JL is, I have seen a lot of complaints and issues around it, and the latest recalls are looking serious. Frame welds are failing? That's inexcusable on a brand new model.
Its even an issue with other pick up's, some GM guys I know complained about how the Silverado had a poorly welded front suspension and architecture parts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 AM

I think that FCA has already outlined that only around 4% of new Wranglers are expected to have this issue. That's not saying that its okay however, because there are some serious safety concerns here.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

It doesn't take a whole lot research to see that every automaker is currently experiencing their share of recalls, its just the nature of the industry now. With stricter regulations and consumers ability to voice and share their concerns, there's no tip toeing even around smaller problems.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 PM

anyone who was warned of these advanced vehicles having issues is now reminded

buying cars these days compared to the 90's and some of the 00's takes a bit of research and rolling the dice unfortunately
i know someone that hates the idea of having a new car parked in a garage attached to their house... as you guessed, its for fear of fire

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page