Ram 1500 towing an Airstream- Edmunds - 2019+ 5th Gen Ram Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Ram 1500 towing an Airstream- Edmunds

This is one of the most unique approaches I've seen for a new truck review and it gives a great overview of the new Ram's towing attributes. There are a ton of smart little features such as the mirror being used as a rear view camera when towing that I expect we'll see GM and Ford implement in future models.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:10 AM

The more you see this truck in action, the easier it is to realize that the 2019 Ram is probably the best 1/2 ton truck on the market. And important note here is that if you opt for the trailer towing mirrors they aren't power folding and you'll lose the 360 degree parking camera.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebellious View Post
The more you see this truck in action, the easier it is to realize that the 2019 Ram is probably the best 1/2 ton truck on the market. And important note here is that if you opt for the trailer towing mirrors they aren't power folding and you'll lose the 360 degree parking camera.
Yeah and the capability seen here is JUST scratching the surface. Once any serious buyer on this community or any others start to look into steering, overall refinement, the V8 powertrain, and of course the luxurious and well equipped interior (infotainment is a big one), very soon it becomes hard to look the other way. Oh yeah... I was a Ford guy for 6+ years.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:07 AM

I do like this unconventional way of reviewing the new Ram and Dan clearly knows his stuff. Will be interesting to see how the move away from aluminum impacts long term durability.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

While steel may be stronger, I think most truck manufacturers have become more concerned with maximizing efficiency and fuel economy. The switch to aluminum hasn't seemed to have made an impact on crash test scores.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:06 AM

Less durable materials can be used since we've seen such an advancement in safety systems across the industry. Even though they are using less steel in their vehicles, we know thanks to new tariffs that they are now paying a hefty premium for it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM

sometimes its just the construction of specific impact areas that make all the difference and its how car makers are getting away with using softer metals.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:14 AM

Automakers have transitioned to lighter materials to maximize fuel economy and save money. Though with the hefty premiums we are seeing on higher end trims, whether those savings are being seen by consumers is debatable.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebellious View Post
Automakers have transitioned to lighter materials to maximize fuel economy and save money. Though with the hefty premiums we are seeing on higher end trims, whether those savings are being seen by consumers is debatable.
autonomous tech is helping because when a system acts an extra set of eyes on the road and reduces your overall risk to the point insurance companies factor it in, its not that bad.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

I've yet to see any savings on my insurance rates due to all these new 'safety' systems. Haven't owned a vehicle yet with a semi autonomous system yet, but I doubt those who own Tesla's are saving any money.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page