Towing Capacity - 2019+ 5th Gen Ram Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Towing Capacity

With a current Ram 1500 "...you can tow and haul confidently – tow up to 10,640 lb (4,826 kg) and haul a payload of up to 1,880 lb (853 kg). The Ram 1500 comes standard with a 4- and 7-pin wiring harness and offers an integrated Class IV hitch receiver and Trailer Brake Control system." It seems like good numbers for me. Do you think that 2019 Ram is going to show better performances in terms of towing capacity or remain the same? I don't think that they will let it go any lower than previous year numbers.

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 09:06 PM

Really depends on how much Ram is willing to spend in development because a higher tow rating would require an update to the wheel axles, suspension, braking system, steering capabilities and other internal controls. Maybe a slight increase, 1-2 extra thousand pounds but not too much.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'm more than happy with what Ram currently have in terms of towing capacity, if they've decided that the numbers should remain the same it's not a problem for me. However, I want to hear what people who use trucks mostly for towing think about it.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 09:57 AM

Well they did say the current 1500 can "confidently" tow up to 10,640 lb, so you could probably exceed that a bit and tow un-confidently? Just an assumption because ratings are generally underrated to increase a vehicle's reliability.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHorn View Post
Well they did say the current 1500 can "confidently" tow up to 10,640 lb, so you could probably exceed that a bit and tow un-confidently? Just an assumption because ratings are generally underrated to increase a vehicle's reliability.
Pushing it beyond can present some warranty issues if they're able to find evidence that over capacity towing resulted in whatever issue you're having. Just keep that in mind. Some people have a greater feel and observe more of what goes on with their vehicles so to them this won't be of much concern.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:18 AM

I'm not one to skirt around the owner's manual so I have not idea what towing more than suggested would do. Maybe an additional 100 pounds is fine, or it could affect your braking distance or ability to safely launch a boat.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHorn View Post
I'm not one to skirt around the owner's manual so I have not idea what towing more than suggested would do. Maybe an additional 100 pounds is fine, or it could affect your braking distance or ability to safely launch a boat.
You do have to apply some judgement because even towing under capacity but not stopping with enough distance or not taking off at the correct pace could cause harm, so as an owner that might be planning to tow that's something you need to consider. Towing is not an entirely straight forward process if you want to factor in all the things that can go wrong.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 03:26 PM

The new numbers are: Max tow 12,750 lbs. and max payload at 2300 lbs.

Mike- 2017 F250 6.2, former diesel guy.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 11:10 AM

Not sure why'd you risk exceeding the towing limit or payload capacity. You not only risk voiding your warranty, but you risk hurting yourself or your passengers. If you're buying a truck specifically for towing, why not opt for something bigger if you're worried about the 1500's weight restrictions?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Not sure why'd you risk exceeding the towing limit or payload capacity. You not only risk voiding your warranty, but you risk hurting yourself or your passengers. If you're buying a truck specifically for towing, why not opt for something bigger if you're worried about the 1500's weight restrictions?
Exactly what I think, 2500 is the way to go if you really need that level of towing cap. Its actually quite common to find people buying used 2500's because these trucks are reliable enough that it makes sense. Some of my friends in trades have taken that route, even one that converted one into a tow truck.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page