2019 Ram Laramie Longhorn 5.7 e-torque - 2019+ 5th Gen Ram Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

2019 Ram Laramie Longhorn 5.7 e-torque

Drove home October13th 2019 in new Ram Laramie Longhorn 5.7 Hemi with e-torque, very pleased with my new truck. Now with 2,120 miles on the truck, not quite five weeks later I am concerned I've got a problem. On five different occasions the vehicle would not shift out of first gear. In each case I was stopped at a stop sign or red light and making a left turn. Upon starting up and turning the transmission remained in first gear, motor revving 4,000 - 4,500 RPM or so, until I realized I had a problem. I lifted my foot off the accelerator and let the truck slow down, it was still in first gear, almost came to a full stop, tried to slowly accelerate but still no shift. I brought the truck to a full stop, then slowly accelerated again, still no shift out of first gear. I again came to a full stop, this time put the selector knob into Park, then back into Drive mode and accelerated and the transmission worked fine. After the first four episodes I called the dealership and took the truck in the same day. First thing the service rep did is check for a OBD code, no code was generated. Dealership had it for four days and could not replicate the problem. Since I've had the truck back one more episode has occurred. Now I'm not sure where to turn. Also, one other thing should mention every time this happened it was at night. Fortunately each time it happened was in very light traffic and I was able to get safely pulled over, Had it been in a heavy traffic area it could have been a serious safety issue. Any one had a similar problem or heard of this type of thing happening?
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 PM

While I know it can be frustrating to always go back to the dealership, in the past with problematic vehicles I had luck getting a second opinion from tech's at another dealership.
Sometimes even going as far as a reputable independent shop that specializes in certain makes and models. Not all tech's are created equal.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Sorry to hear that you're already experiencing transmission woes with your new truck. We haven't heard of any other upshifting issues from other new owners and its likely that your truck may be among the first to expose them. Going to be a tough issue to address with no error codes being thrown.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:34 PM

Similar issues have been reported by other owners so there is a pattern, I just hope FCA does something soon enough. Even the infotainment system is said to finicky as well.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:32 AM

Well that sounds incredibly dangerous. You've been really fortunate for this problem to have happened in low traffic areas. I'd be pretty hesitant to drive it until your dealer can source the problem.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page